Provo Utah Temple
15th operating temple
Physical Address2200 Temple Hill Drive
Provo, Utah 84604-1766
Mailing Address2200 Temple Hill Dr
Provo, UT 84604-1766
Announcement: 14 August 1967
Site Dedication: 15 September 1969 by Joseph Fielding Smith
Groundbreaking: 15 September 1969 by Hugh B. Brown
Public Open House: 10–29 January 1972
Dedication: 9 February 1972 by Joseph Fielding Smith
Site: 17 acres.
Exterior Finish: White cast stone; gold anodized aluminum grills; bronze glass panels; single painted spire.
Ordinance Rooms: Six ordinance rooms (stationary) and twelve sealing.
Total Floor Area: 128,325 square feet.
Located on Provo's east bench near the mouth of magnificent Rock Canyon, the Provo Utah Temple claims a stunning backdrop of towering mountains. The extensive temple grounds are decorated with a cascading water feature and numerous flowers, shrubs, and trees. Across the street is the Missionary Training Center (MTC) where thousands of young missionaries reside year round preparing for missionary service around the world. The campus of Church-owned Brigham Young University (BYU) borders the temple to the southwest.
The Provo Utah Temple was the sixth temple built in Utah and the first built in Utah County.
Often dubbed "one of the busiest temples in the Church," the Provo Utah Temple operates six ordinance rooms, allowing sessions to begin every 20 minutes. (Only three other temples have six ordinance rooms: the Ogden Utah Temple, Jordan River Utah Temple, and Washington D.C. Temple.)
The Provo Utah Temple and Provo City Center Temple will be the second pair of temples to be built in the same city, following the Jordan River Utah Temple (1981) and Oquirrh Mountain Utah Temple (2009) in South Jordan, Utah.
The Provo Utah Temple was originally named the Provo Temple.
The announcement of the Provo Utah Temple and Ogden Utah Temple was prompted by a statistic computed in the mid-1960s that 52 percent of all ordinance work was performed in three temples: the Logan Utah Temple, the Manti Utah Temple, and the Salt Lake Temple.
The original design for the Provo Utah Temple included a gold-leafed statue of the angel Moroni atop a gold-colored spire. The statue was eventually eliminated from the design, though one was added over 31 years after its dedication.
The Provo Utah Temple was constructed as a sister building to the Ogden Utah Temple, which was built and dedicated at the same time.
The Provo Utah Temple stands adjacent to Church-owned Brigham Young University. The Church's other two universities; Brigham Young University–Hawaii in Laie, Hawaii, and Brigham Young University–Idaho in Rexburg, Idaho; also have adjacent temples.
President Joseph Fielding Smith presided at the dedication of the Provo Utah Temple, but at his request, the prayer he had written was offered by President Harold B. Lee, first counselor in the First Presidency.
The Provo Utah Temple was dedicated in just two sessions by seating attendees—in addition to the temple—in the Marriott Center, George Albert Smith Fieldhouse, Joseph Smith Building, and the Harris Fine Arts Center on the BYU campus. Over 70,000 attended in what was the largest temple dedication in history.
As part of an exterior renovation in 2003, an angel Moroni statue was added to the Provo Utah Temple, and the spire—originally gold colored—was painted white.