Ogden Utah Temple
14th operating temple; closed for renovation; work proceeding on landscaping and interior; anticipated to be completed in the latter half of 2014
Physical Address350 22nd Street
Ogden, Utah 84401-1487
Mailing Address350 22nd St
Ogden, UT 84401-1487Telephone 801-621-6880
Distribution Services 801-334-4215
Announcement: 24 August 1967
Site Dedication: 8 September 1969 by Joseph Fielding Smith and Alvin R. Dyer
Groundbreaking: 8 September 1969 by Hugh B. Brown
Public Open House: 16–30 December 1971
Dedication: 18–20 January 1972 by Joseph Fielding Smith
Site: 18.3 acres.
Exterior Finish: Granite.
Ordinance Rooms: Six ordinance rooms (stationary) and nine sealing.
Total Floor Area: 115,000 square feet.
Visitors to the Ogden Utah Temple construction site may obtain additional information at the visitors' trailer where displays are available, and questions may be answered.
As of March 2014, activity is full steam ahead at the Ogden Utah Temple grounds where the installation of a decorative fence and the planting of trees and shrubs are quickly advancing. In cooperation with the City, Grant Avenue has been closed behind the temple, which will be reconfigured and beautified. Work continues on the interior, which has been framed, sheetrocked, and is receiving trim work. Renovation of the tabernacle continues simultaneously.
In January 2012, the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers Museum and Miles Goodyear Cabin were relocated from the Ogden Utah Temple site to their new permanent location on a half-acre, city-donated site at the corner of Lincoln Ave and 21st St—just one block west of the temple block.
The angel Moroni statue came down on August 8, 2011, followed by the spire that day and the next. The angel will be refurbished and reused, though not necessarily on the Ogden temple.
On February 17, 2010, the Church announced that the Ogden Utah Temple block would undergo a complete overhaul—reshaping the existing temple into a beautiful new east-facing, stone-clad temple with art glass windows. While the interior structure will remain largely the same, some rooms will be reconfigured, and all interior design and auxiliary systems will be updated. The adjacent tabernacle will also sustain changes including the removal of its steeple, which will lend more prominence to the temple. The current above-ground parking structure will be replaced with surface and underground parking. All landscaping will be redone, featuring two new beautiful water features on the east and west sides of the temple.
On September 8, 2010, the Ogden Planning Commission granted approval for the site plan of the redesigned Ogden Utah Temple.
On January 4, 2011, the First Presidency announced by letter the official closing date of the temple as Saturday, April 2, 2011. Construction is expected to last approximately three years. Following the renovation, the temple will be rededicated. During the closure, members may attend any other temple with an emphasis on weekday hours. Attendance is expected to increase at nearby temples, especially on Saturdays and weekday evenings.
The Ogden Utah Temple serves as a religious centerpiece to downtown Ogden where it occupies an entire city block on Washington Boulevard (US Highway 89). The historic Ogden Tabernacle, completed in 1956, shares the temple block and holds the distinction of being the last tabernacle built by the Church. The temple grounds are beautified by large water features, mature trees, and colorful landscaping.
The Ogden Utah Temple was the first temple dedicated in the state of Utah; the four previous temples were dedicated in Utah Territory over 78 years earlier.
The Ogden Utah Temple was the first temple built with six ordinance rooms, allowing sessions to begin every 20 minutes. (Only three other temples have six ordinance rooms: the Provo Utah Temple, Jordan River Utah Temple, and Washington D.C. Temple.)
The Ogden Utah Temple was originally named the Ogden Temple.
The announcement of the Ogden Utah Temple and Provo Utah Temple was prompted by a statistic computed in the mid-1960s that 52 percent of all ordinance work was performed in three temples: the Logan Utah Temple, the Manti Utah Temple, and the Salt Lake Temple.
The original design for the Ogden Utah Temple included a gold-leafed statue of the angel Moroni atop a gold-colored spire. The statue was eventually eliminated from the design, though one was added over 30 years after its dedication.
The Ogden Utah Temple was constructed as a sister building to the Provo Utah Temple, which was built and dedicated at the same time.
Ground was broken for the Ogden Utah Temple on the 96th birthday of President David O. McKay. He passed away just 4 months later. The temple was subsequently dedicated on the second anniversary of his passing.
At the dedication of the Ogden Utah Temple, President Harold B. Lee finished the remaining one-third of the dedicatory prayer when President Joseph Fielding Smith became too weak from standing so long.
As part of an exterior renovation in 2002, an angel Moroni statue was added to the Ogden Utah Temple, and the spire—originally gold colored—was painted white.
The Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum, built as the Weber Stake Relief Society Hall in 1902, was transported from the Ogden Utah Temple grounds on January 24, 2012, to a new permanent location on a half-acre, city-donated site at the corner of Lincoln Avenue and 21st Streete—one block west of the temple.