Newport Beach California Temple
122nd operating temple
Physical Address2300 Bonita Canyon Drive
Newport Beach, California 92660-9118
Mailing Address2300 Bonita Canyon Dr
Newport Beach, CA 92660-9118Telephone 949-644-1820
Announcement: 21 April 2001
Groundbreaking and Site Dedication: 15 August 2003 by Duane B. Gerrard
Public Open House: 23 July–20 August 2005
Dedication: 28 August 2005 by Gordon B. Hinckley
Site: 8.8 acres.
Exterior Finish: Salisbury pink granite from North Carolina.
Ordinance Rooms: Two ordinance rooms (two-stage progressive) and three sealing.
Total Floor Area: 17,800 square feet.
The Newport Beach California Temple was the sixth temple built in California, the fourth built in Southern California, and the second built in the Los Angeles Metropolitan Area, following the Los Angeles California Temple (1956).
The Newport Beach Planning Commission gave its approval for the Newport Beach California Temple on October 3, 2002, despite protests from the numerous residents in attendance. The Church worked closely with residents in a spirit of compromise, making changes in response to their concerns that included turning off flood lighting by 11:00 p.m., changing the color of the building from off-white to an earth-tone shade of seashell, and reducing the height of the spire from 124 feet to 100 feet.1
On November 12, 2002, the Newport Beach City Council gave final approval for the temple upon agreement by the Church to make a second reduction in the height of the steeple from 100 feet to 90 feet. The 10-foot concession gained yards in public relations, as staunch opponents embraced the compromise, saying they were ready to move forward as a community.2
Ground was broken for the temple on Friday, August 15, 2003, in the presence of area authorities, local Church leaders, civic leaders, temple architects, and media representatives. Elder Duane B. Gerrard, first counselor in the North America West Area presidency, presided and dedicated the temple site.3
On January 13, 2005, a statue of the angel Moroni crowned the temple. During placement, a remarkable solar halo was visible, which surrounded the sun. Once Moroni was in place, the phenomenon dissipated.4
1. Chantal Lamers, "100-foot-tall Mormon temple OKd," Orange County Register 10 Oct. 2002.
2. Fermin Leal, "Council OKs shorter Mormon steeple," Orange County Register 13 Nov. 2002, 13 Nov. 2002
3. Kathleen Lubeck Peterson, "Ground broken for Newport Beach Temple," Church News 23 Aug. 2003: 4.
4. "Topping the Temple," Los Angeles Times 14 Jan. 2005: B3.