Logan Utah Temple
2nd operating temple
Physical Address175 North 300 East
Logan, Utah 84321-4720
Mailing Address175 N 300 E
Logan, UT 84321-4720
Announcement: 6 October 1876
Site Dedication: 18 May 1877 by Orson Pratt
Groundbreaking: 18 May 1877 by John W. Young
Dedication: 17–19 May 1884 by John Taylor
Public Open House: 5 February–3 March 1979
Rededication: 13–15 March 1979 by Spencer W. Kimball
Site: 9 acres.
Exterior Finish: Dark-colored, siliceous limestone—an extremely hard stone and compact in texture. Buff-colored sandstone was used wherever detailed shaping was necessary.
Ordinance Rooms: Four ordinance rooms (stationary) and eleven sealing.
Total Floor Area: 119,619 square feet.
The Logan Utah Temple stands prominently on an elevated terrace—visible for miles throughout northern Utah's Cache Valley. Occupying an entire city block, the site features charming gardens and fountains on the east side and a huge grassy hill on the west. Just two blocks from the temple is the historic Logan Tabernacle, located on highly traveled Highway 91.
The Logan Utah Temple was the second temple built in Utah.
The Logan Utah Temple was the first temple built with progressive-style muraled ordinance rooms for live-acting presentation of the endowment ceremony.
The Logan Utah Temple was the only temple dedicated by President John Taylor.
The Logan Utah Temple was originally named the Logan Temple.
The five-story Logan Utah Temple was built entirely by volunteer labor over a seven-year period from 1877 to 1884.
The exterior walls of the Logan Utah Temple were originally painted an off-white color to hide the dark, rough-hewn limestone. In the early 1900s, however, the paint was allowed to weather away, uncovering the beautiful stone that characterizes the temple today.
On the evening of December 4, 1917, fire broke out in the Logan Utah Temple, engulfing the southeast staircase, destroying several windows and paintings, and causing extensive smoke and water damage. The origin of the fire was discovered to be electrical wiring.
The Logan Utah Temple was flood lighted at night for the first time during the month of May 1934 as part of the temple's Golden Jubilee celebration. Everyone entering the valley was astonished by the brilliant spectacle. Thirteen years would pass before the temple was lit again on the temple's 63rd anniversary—this time with an elaborate permanent system.
The Logan Utah Temple is the only temple to be completely gutted and rebuilt inside. The two-year project replaced the progressive-style ordinance rooms with motion-picture ordinance rooms. President Spencer W. Kimball, who rededicated the completed temple in 1979, regretted the need to reconstruct the interior because of the loss of pioneer craftsmanship.