Madrid Spain Temple
56th operating temple
Physical AddressCalle del Templo no. 2
Mailing AddressCalle del Templo no. 2
Telephone: (34) 91-301-7607
Fax: (34) 91-371-1820
Distribution Services: (34) 91-301-7642
Announcement: 4 April 1993
Groundbreaking and Site Dedication: 11 June 1996 by Gordon B. Hinckley
Public Open House: 20 February–13 March 1999
Dedication: 19–21 March 1999 by Gordon B. Hinckley
Site: 3.5 acres.
Exterior Finish: Italian Camaro Marble.
Ordinance Rooms: Four ordinance rooms (stationary) and four sealing.
Total Floor Area: 45,800 square feet.
The temple is part of a complex with a stake center, missionary training center, and temple patron housing facilities referred to by some as the "Temple Square of Madrid."
Missionary work was able to commence in Spain when a religious liberty law was passed in 1967, allowing for the official recognition of the LDS Church. Clark Hinckley, son of President Gordon B. Hinckley, was among the first four missionaries sent to Spain from other Spanish-speaking missions.1
1. "Temple dedicated in Madrid, Spain," Church News 27 Mar. 1999: 3.